Consultancy Title: Mobile App Consultancy
Project Name: Fiji Parliament Support Project
Duty Station: Home based and Fiji Parliament.
Duration: 01 September – 30 November 2016
Start date: 01 September 2016
• To design a mobile app for the Fijian Parliament.
o In 2013, upon the request of the Government of Fiji, UNDP facilitated the development of a preliminary Fiji Parliament Needs Assessment Report. In response to the recommendations of the Fiji Parliament Needs Assessment Report, the United Nations Development Programme within its framework of regional support to Pacific Parliaments, developed a programme of support to the Fiji Parliament focusing on areas including infrastructure, capacity building of the secretariat, capacity building of newly elected MPs and assistance to the development of the legal framework for Parliament.
o Since the re-establishment of Parliament following the Elections in 2014, the UNDP Fiji Parliament Support Project has been providing comprehensive support to the Fiji Parliament to enable it to undertake its legislative, oversight and representative function.
o Under the representative function of parliament, UNDP has been working with the Parliament of Fiji to bring parliament closer to the people of Fiji through the support it has provided to the Fiji Parliament Outreach programme. The Outreach programme are aimed at (1) raising the profile of parliament in our community; (2) Educating Fijian communities on how Parliament works (3) Informing Fijian community about Parliament’s work and (4) encouraging community involvement with Parliament
o As part of the Parliament’s effort in ensuring an open and transparent parliament, UNDP is supporting the Parliament to re-design the current “Fiji Parliament Website”.
Scope of Work
• Study the existing Parliament IT Infrastructure and Parliament website
• Prepare the Business Case or work flow for Fiji Parliament App
• Design and Develop a Mobile App, which is compatible with mobile Platforms: iOS, Android, Windows
• Provide a secure connection for MP’s to access to digital content.
• Provide General Public to have access to digital content
• Deploy an Audio/Video streaming server to stream Parliamentary Proceedings
• Have a chat messaging feature for MP’s
• Test and deploy the system
• Provide Technical specifications
• Maintain the proposed system for a period of three year
• Provide Training
• Provide Documentation including QA report and source code of the Mobile App
Provided below are the minimum requirements for Deploying a Mobile App for Parliament of Fiji
- Should support commonly available mobile platforms: iOS, Android, Windows
- Should be compatible with mobile platforms and versions, released over the past three years
- Should maintain the App to be compatible with the mobile-platform versions released over the next three years
- Should provide users with a way to contact Parliament with questions, concerns and complaints
- Should follow industry standard guidelines of developing mobile apps
- Should provide proper error handling with well defined & documented error states
- Should have a UI appropriate for mobile devices, taking into account device/platform constraints
- Should have user friendly interfaces to locate required information with minimum effort
- Display Parliament ‘Questions & Answers’ with the date/content search
- Display News with the date/title search
- Display ‘this week/forthcoming Business in Parliament’
- Display Parliament Calendar
- Display information about Members of Parliament with search ability
- Display publications of Parliament
- Display Acts/Bills with search ability
- Live broadcasting/streaming Parliamentary proceedings
- Secure login for MP’s and chat messaging options
- Standard security procedures need to be implemented so as the mobile user cannot access unauthorized resources
- Should follow industry standard security procedures to ensure no security threat to Parliament ICT resources
- Access to Parliament Databases should be done through a data access layer
- Should avoid accessing databases directly
- The bidder should set up an industry standard Streaming Server hosted in Parliament, in a server hardware provided by Parliament
- The Streaming Server should support commonly available video/audio streaming formats supported by all popular/common mobile and web platforms including minimum of the following: MP3 and MP4
- This streaming facility should be integrated to the App to stream/broadcast Audio/Video of Plenary ProceedingsThis streaming facility should be extendable to Parliament Website
- Provision to configure the App with customized features
Provide Training to Parliament Technical Staff on the following:
I. Maintenance and Administration of the App
II. Basic training on App development languages
III. Streaming server maintenance, configuration and administration
Documentation and Source Code
- Provide source code with detailed documentation including architecture, design, deployment and maintenance
- Provide project documentation
- Provide QA report with test cases
Warranty & Maintenance
Should maintain the proposed system for a period of three years, which includes minimum of the following activities:
- I. Bug fixing
- II. Patch updates
- III. Minor modifications
Submission Should also include the following
A. Project Methodology – the bidder should describe in detail the approach and methodology
i. App Designing
ii. App Development
iii. Deploying Audio/Video streaming server
iv. Testing and Deployment
v. Support and Maintenance during the warranty period and after the warranty period
B. Bill of Materials – all materials required for Deploying a Mobile App for Parliament of Fiji. The Bidder can also mention any other components that are required to support the implementation.
C. Project Plan – the bidder is expected to submit a well-organized comprehensive Project Plan. The Project Plan is expected to concentrate on activities that will commence after the contract signing and end with the final user sign-off.
D. Training Plan
E. Warranty & Support
i. The vendor must specify the items that are included within the comprehensive warranty.
ii. The vendor should also specify the items not covered under warranty
iii. The vendor should specify the circumstance covered by the warranty
iv. The vendor should also specify any other exclusions and exceptions, which may apply
v. Service and Support provided after three years
The Consultant will be given desk space at the Fiji Parliament during their time in Fiji
Reporting, Deliverables and Timelines:
• The firm will be required to comply with standard UNDP and Fiji Parliament rules and regulations and assigned deadlines per the deliverables for a specific project.
• The firm will be expected to first produce a draft layout of the proposed website design, in electronic form, to UNDP and Fiji Parliament for comments and suggestions for improvement and in line with requirements of Fiji Parliament
• Provide warranty for at least 12 months.
The Service provider must:
• be a reputable firm with prior experience designing visually appealing and navigation-friendly mobile apps
• Have a broad knowledge of current web development technologies and design tools in the field, and new software and other web programming languages and programs including use of HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, Macromedia Flash, Java. iOS, Aneroid
• Demonstrate the ability to create innovative and visually appealing design; and
• guarantee timely delivery of assignments
Years of experience:
• At least 5 years of relevant experience and ability to produce visually stimulating, professional looking, user friendly websites
• Experience in graphic designing and web publishing, including Content Management Systems, advanced knowledge of HTML/CSS3;
• Experience in Flash and online video publishing;
• Experience with modular (widget) design systems with dynamic UI elements;
• Provide an up-to-date portfolio and work samples;
The proposals will be evaluated using the cumulative analysis method with a split 70% technical and 30% financial scoring. The proposal with the highest cumulative scoring will be awarded the contract.
Applications will be evaluated technically and points are attributed based on how well the proposal meets the requirements of the Terms of Reference using the guidelines detailed in the table below:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract may be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Evaluation (70%)
A reputable firm with prior experience designing visually appealing and navigation-friendly mobile apps with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience and ability to produce visually stimulating, professional looking, user friendly websites - 20%
Have a broad knowledge of current web development technologies and design tools in the field, and new software and other web programming languages and programs including use of HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, Macromedia Flash, Java. iOS, Aneroid - 20%
Experience in Flash and online video publishing and modular (widget) design systems with dynamic UI elements - 10%
Has provided an up-to-date portfolio and work samples - 10%
Financial evaluation (30%)
All applications must be clearly marked with the title of the consultancy and submitted by 5.00pm, 24 August 2016 (Fiji Time) either electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or addressed under confidential cover to:
ATTN: Dale Kacivi
C/- UNDP Fiji Multi-country office
Private Mail Bag
For further information concerning these Terms of Reference, please contact Rovil Kumar on email email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered, and only candidates for whom there is further interest will be contacted.