Open Parliament Day 2023
Co-hosted by the Riigikogu (Parliament of Estonia), Open Parliament e-Network (OPeN), and Open Government Partnership (OGP), the Open Parliament Day 2023 is organized on the sidelines of the OGP Summit in Estonia.
The objective will be to bring together the Open Parliament community to reflect on the role that legislatures play in the fight against corruption.
Open Parliament Days have been organized within the framework of OGP Global Summits over the years (such as 2018 in Georgia, 2019 in Canada and 2021 in Korea), welcoming legislators, parliamentary staff and civil society representatives from around the world to exchange initiatives, actions and challenges regarding the progress of the Open Parliament agenda globally.
On the day of the event, a series of discussions are expected to take place around ways of ensuring the accountability of Members of Parliament, such as transparency of lobbying, publication of MPs’ declarations of interest, code of ethics and financial declarations among other. The discussions will also focus on the role of parliament in anti-corruption policy-making through cutting-edge initiatives addressing topics such as political finance, beneficial ownership, whistleblowers, public expenditure, as well as oversight of the executive branch.
Speakers and Moderators:
· Robert Scott Heaslet, Senior Resident Director - North Macedonia, National Democratic Institute
· Lord Francis Maude, Member of the House of Lords, United Kingdom, and Former Chair of Open Government Partnership
· Shreya Basu, Deputy Director of Country Support, Open Government Partnership
· Faris Al Rawi, Minister of Rural Development and Local Government, Trinidad and Tobago and ParlAmericas Representative
· Kristen Sample, Director of Democratic Governance, National Democratic Institute
· Emmanual Bedzrah, Member of Parliament, Ghana
· Freddy Lim, Member of the Legislative Yuan, Taiwan
· Fadli Zon, Member of Parliament, Indonesia and Vice-Chair of the Global Organization of Parliamentarians against Corruption
· María Baron, Global Executive Director, Directorio Legislativo
· Franklin de Vrieze, Accountability Head of Practice, Westminster Foundation for Democracy
· Samuel Perez, Member of Congress, Guatemala
· Jackie Speier, Former Member of Congress, United States
· Margit Sutrop, Member of Parliament, Estonia
· Jorida Tabaku, Member of Parliament, Albania
· Noel Alonso Murray, Executive Director, Directorio Legislativo
· Vlado Milosevic, Member of Parliament, Chile
The event will be live-streamed online